Who Were They?

Lost and forgotten photos from the past

This photo was found inside a large presentation photo at an antique shop in Orange, CA. The photographer is S Fordon or Jordon of Chicago. The photo is about 4×6 and is mounted on a large cardstock card that is about 7.5 x 12.

The three children are all dressed in white, and I wonder if the occasion was a wedding, with the little girls mimicking the bride, or the three were confirmed at the same time, although doesn’t confirmation happen in the early teens? I’m not of a church that practices confirmation, so any help here would be great.

14 thoughts on “Wedding or confirmation?

1. IntenseGuy says:

Confirmation is a “coming of age” rite and in most places the “age” is around 13-14 years old… however each individual “ruling body” of the Church in question decides the minimum age and it can be as young as 6 or 7 years old although this is rather rare.

First communion might be a younger age than Confirmation but usually its not much younger.

2. Jo says:

I’d have guessed Confirmation, but my religious knowledge is poor… Otherwise, some type of dressing up theme for the photo?

3. Christine says:

It probably is a confirmation, but they look as if they could start dancing any moment.

4. Marilyn says:

It could have been their ‘First Holy Communion’ as it is known in the Catholic church; I think they would be the correct age for this. It’s such a beautiful photo of them.

5. Nancy says:

I wonder if they were flower girls and ring bearer for a wedding…. They look so formal and dressed up. It’s a wonderful photograph.

6. Joan says:

I’d say First Holy Communion. They are wearing medals that look like First Communion medals. I love the photo. They are certainly beautifully dressed. They look like little angels don’t they. Thank you.

7. Alan Burnett says:

I am not sure of the occasion but it is a fabulous photograph. I “clicked to enlarge” and there is such a wealth of detail there, it is a joy to explore.

8. urban muser says:

my guess would be a first communion. either way it’s a great photo. i have one of my gram wearing a similar type of outfit–i will have to post it sometime.

9. Muse Swings says:

My guess – like many others – is First Communion. The questions that remain if that is true are: why do the children appear to be different ages? Perhaps an illness prevented one or the other from having their Communion with their own age group. The biggest question, though, if this is a Catholic Communion picture, is where are the plethora of rosaries and prayer books that are usually held by the communicants. I see nary a cross, candle or scapular!!! No matter what the answer, it is such a beautiful and angelic photo of these pretty little children!

10. TICKLEBEAR says:

and with JOAN: first communion!!
    yes, i got myself the catholic full treatment!!
    (my father didn’t get the last word here. he’s pentecostal…)
    the only time i looked like a monk….
    but this????????????
    have i died and gone to heaven??
    they look so angelic!!
    they may not have revel in the moment,
    but decades later,
    they are quite the vision.
    thanx so much for sharing!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

11. Pat says:

I think “first Holy Communion” that’s a rite still practiced today in the Catholic faith. It would be why the all white. How good you have resuced them and hope their family gets them back sometime. Such a shame that they are “missing” their links but I know you provide a good home.

12. I agree First Communion in the Catholic Church..they are beautiful children:)

13. Larry says:

I would guess communion also but the guy gets to sit down. What a deal for him but the girls are left standing. Neat photo.

14. First communion is my guess. I was all done up like that at that age.