This is a very nice mid to late 1860s image of two women. They appear to be mother & daughter. Note the lovely details:
- Dropped shoulder seams with sleeve caps, and look at the trim on the standing woman!
- The darker colored dress features a ribbon trim design at the sleeve cuff
- Coat sleeves on both dresses to enhance the elbow area
- Both women have some type of jewelry at the neck of her dress and the lady on the right looks to have a belt.
- Fine, slicked back hair which was the fashion, parted in the center and dressed in back.
- The standing woman is holding something in her hand, maybe a fan. She also has a wide band of trim at the hem of her dress.
As we know, colors did not photograph the same way they do today, so these dresses are quite likely beautiful colors and the one that appears lighter might actually be darker than the one that appears darker. I only wish we could see them in their true colors to appreciate the colors these ladies chose.