Who Were They?

Lost and forgotten photos from the past

Here we have two cabinet cards of Uncle Karl Trunk and his family. The first is from the 1890s, which we can tell by the deckled edges of the card. Also, there are three girls in the first photo, while the second shows four girls and a boy.

I find the setting of this second photo really unusual. It looks like they are sitting in an alleyway between two houses. The brickwork is wavy, as though the ground settled after the bricks were lain. There is no photographer information on the photo. However, I’m going to date this in the 1900s because of the ages of the children. The youngest girl in photo #1 looks to be about 8 in photo #2.

8 thoughts on “Uncle Karl Trunk & Family

1. IntenseGuy says:

Ah, nothing like spelling Karl with a “K” in the german fashion. :)

Judging by the second photo, I think the first photo is 2 girls and a baby boy –

Could these be Minna (Jr.), Franciska, son August, Cecelia and Katrina Trunk of Bridgeport, Ohio?

1. mrsmarvel says:

Ha ha I think you are biased :-)

2. Cindy Stephens says:

Carl and Minnie Trunk were my great grandparents how did you know the children’s names? France’s was my grandmother

1. Mrs Marvel says:

Hi Cindy, I think Iggy found the info on names in a census.

3. Cindy says:

How did you know the Trunks from Ohio?

2. The first must be two girls and a boy..if it was three girls then the youngest died..because the boy is third in birth order in the second photo. The second photo must have been taken by a traveling photographer..they worked when and where they could! Great old Cabinet Cards! :)

3. catanea says:

Has the “ground settled” in the second photo, or is that just the central gutter so rainwater won’t stay up against the building walls, but run down the centre of the alley? It looks intentional to me.

4. Laura Trunk says:

Nice to see this photo. Karl and Minna Trunk are my great grandparents and their son August (Gus) is my grandfather. Based upon this info, Karl is Benedicta Trunk’s uncle so can anyone confirm who Karl’s brother is? I think it is John Trunk but would love to hear from anyone with info to confirm or refute this